Saturday, January 31, 2015

newlyweeds....? + a strong book recommendation

I've been on the lookout for a movie in which black actors are the principal actors, but the movie is not primarily about race. Tonight I found a movie that fit that description. It's called Newlyweeds. It's....hm. Well, it's kind of a pothead anti-pot movie. It's as if a stoner made a movie about why not to be a stoner. In a nutshell.

So.....that was interesting.

I'm not going to say I recommend the movie exactly. But I'm not sad that I watched it.

Something I do recommend is the book Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Here's how I would summarize the book: 1. Going forward, whenever a white person has the nerve to tell me that racism isn't a problem in America anymore, I'll tell them to read that book before speaking to me further. 2. Whenever a liberal white person speaks to me about being in a post-racial society, I'll ask them politely to please read the book. 3. Although the book is about American culture from a Nigerian perspective, and about post-colonial politics in America and Britain, and post-colonial life in general, the thing that really kept me reading was the love story. And it's a love story that's worth reading for, until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment