Friday, January 2, 2015

engaging the imaginations of the historically/contemporarily marginalized

A number of times in the last few months when I've told people that my New Year's resolution is to not read anything written by a straight white man, and to not watch any movie directed by a straight white man or in which the protagonist is a straight white man.....well, my resolution hasn't gone over particularly well with a number of people. You can guess the demographic of folk it hasn't gone over well with. Which has highlighted to me the reason I'm doing this, which is to engage the voices & imaginations of the non-dominant culture.

But I've also got to thinking that maybe it would be better not just for the people I talk to about this, but also for my own psyche, to state my New Year's resolution in the positive, rather than the negative. So, stated positively, my New Year's resolution is to engage the imaginations & voices of the historically and contemporarily marginalized.

I started, yesterday, with the novel Americanah, by the female Nigerian writer, Chimananda Ngozi Adichie. I'm about 100 pages in and it's really great so far! I'll keep you posted. I also started watching the anime movie "Spirited Away," by the Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki. The protagonist is a young girl who finds herself in a strange land of spirits. I haven't finished the movie yet, so I don't know whether I recommend it, but I do heartily recommend another movie by Miyazaki, called "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind."

I am accepting recommendations too! Send 'em over if ya got 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment