Saturday, October 25, 2014

where i am now


I've moved from house-sitting for Carolyn & Dorik, to now house-sitting for Tina & Marty. This is their house. You can see from this photo how much Sitka is completely in the middle of wilderness. This picture is also a classic Alaskan home picture. Boat in the yard. Net in front of the garage.

 This is the net. I was mending it the other day. I'm doing some work for Marty at the moment, to earn some money. I finished mending this net and now there's another one in its place that I'm going to start mending.

 Here's their front yard decoration. I don't know what it is, but I like it. See how their front yard is a mere few feet away from the oean?

 This is the plane across the water from their house. Also classic Alaska.

 The view standing on the other side of the street from their house.

I took this picture standing in front of the house just now, standing at the living room window.

So, that's where I am right now. For the next 10 days. Then I come back to the States for a little while.

6 comments:

  1. how lovely, the views and it seems so peaceful there with the water! very nice! thinking of you my friend. ps: just finished My Antonia by Willia Cather and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is pretty darn gorgeous here. I'm so glad to be here.

    What's My Antonia about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it is beautiful there, hey?
    Wow, the book.... it's narrated by a boy who becomes a man in the course of the book.. it's about a girl he meets the day he and she come to the still wild west Nebraska ... she's from what is still Bohemia and he just lost his parents who do not enter the story further as he settles in with his grandparents... it's about so many things... the people he sees, the struggles, how the poor end up really on top at the end there, with their willingness to work and the riches' pettiness and unwillingness to 'get dirty' with farm work. it's a story of just ends but also redemption; real struggle and tragedy but also beauty hope and salvation of a family... I hope to read O Pioneers at some point as well; was just lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a marvelous view to look out on from one's home! I'm so glad you've landed in a good spot--water and sky there for the watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like quite the book, Elizabeth. Your description reminds me of some of Marilynne Robinson's writings. Have you read any of her novels? I'm completely in love with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really is a great book... I've ready M. R. book _Gilead_ and it is well written, I can see why you'd like her. You may like O Antonia, given your like of M. R. :)

    ReplyDelete